Tuesday, July 22, 2014

City of Sisterly Love

This past weekend I jumped in the car and headed down to the city where I was born-- the city of Brotherly Sisterly love -- to participate in the Color Run, aka #YArunsa5K.



I even talked some of the girls into joining me.



The run was fabulous. So many great YA supporters were there. I managed to run the whole 5K (my first!) and I only got color in my eye once.

But no trip to Philadelphia is complete without a few staples -- especially if the people you're with are newbies to the city.

When we arrived in Philly, we checked into our hotel (the Holiday Inn near the stadium, which was super convenient and a great choice for the run!).





Then we headed to one of my favorite places: Elfreth's Alley.



The buildings were all built back in the 1700 and 1800s, and it's a pretty close depiction of what the city looked like back then.




There was some peering down alley ways.


And some exploring.



Then we were off to get some dinner.

Obviously we needed to have Philly Cheesesteaks.

We hopped over to Sonny's on Market St and snagged an outside table.



Then we ordered: Cheesesteak Hoagies for all of us, but a side of Bacon Cheez Fries.



It was as good as ever and we were very quickly finished.

Even though this might not have been the best "pre-run" idea, we decided that we needed to check out Happily Ever After. Next to Sonny's, the sign called to us and we headed over to check it out.



Only to find they seriously spoke to our nerd sensibilities.








We had some samples. 



I skipped fro-yo and got a giant s'more because it's summer and I have a thing for s'mores. 


Then, even though it was dark, we walked to Penn's Landing and looked out over the water.



And then passed Independence Hall where we also spied the Liberty Bell from behind some glass.



All in all it was an awesome night. The only thing left after the Color Run the next day was Rita's.












1 comments:

Tez Miller said...

Yay for only getting colour in your eye once! :-)

Search This Blog

 

elizabeth norris Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger